08 October 2011

Fansubbers Going for Hi10P (10-bit)

This post is obviously related to anime.
Of course, what else fansubbers related to??

As an anime lover (I didn't used Otaku since in Japan it's have a negative meaning) I always feel grateful to any fansubber out there who have sacrifice their precious time to give sub to us who want to watch anime without the need of knowing a lot of Japanese.

If you are quite an anime lover, then you can skip to the next part.
If you are not, and still want to read this post, fansubber is a group of somewhat diligent people who rip an anime on the exact air-date, translate the dialog, and put subtitle on it. They sure help a lot of people (minus them self, because it mostly didn't help them at anything, instead it put more work on them).



As with the popularity of HD Video increased, fansubber started to release HD releases. This HD release are ranging from 720p to 1080p (which couldn't play well on my Lappie. Thanks God 720p works fine). To make an HD Video, the fansubber use H.264 video compression which is used as Blu-Ray Video standard around the world. Believe me, though the file size is larger than usual, the video quality is much better than SD. If you a visual oriented person (like me), you should pick this one instead of SD, especially if you have an HDTV on your arsenal.

And now, come a new video format around. It's still H.264, but instead of using HiP (8-bit) profile that commonly used 'till this day, some fansubber start to use Hi10P or also known as 10-bit compression. What's the different? This 10-bit is supposedly to give a better compression method, making the video quality better while keeping the file size lower. Or so they said. If what they said is true, then this shit is magic! (quoted from Static-Subs)

Problems come accompanying good things, it's always true in the course of human history. While this profile of compression is really good, it haven't quite popular and well known. I've tried one anime (I will elaborate about this later) which compressed using 10-bit profile. The size sure is small for the length, but problems arrive. Since the first second, the video was filled with artifact (you know, some weird pixels and colors scattered on the screen). One thing that I know is that my codec and/or my player was not support it. People on the subber's blogs suggest to use CCCP. Well, I'm not a fans of CCCP, so I defy the suggestion and went to K-Lite webs. I saw they have a new version. At that time, my K-Lite codec is released early this year. Yet, there were a new release on August. Without further ado, I downloaded it, installed it (of course I've already uninstalled the older version before), and tried it. Guess what? Works well!! It's up to you what codec pack that you want to use. I haven't check other title yet, so I don't know whether this K-Lite works on all anime or not.

The one that I used for testing is Fate/Zero 720p from Commie. The size is 320 MB. For a 45-minutes anime, 320 MB is sure small! That's the power of 10-bit!! I've checked the video with the latest version of K-Lite codec and everything seems fine so far(haven't watch it till the end, but the part previously filled with artifact is now clean and really good). The quality is not different with any other 720p. One thing that intrigued me is that today I found out that UTW also released 720p Fate/Zero with 10-bit profile. I went to download the torrent file and found out the size is 501 MB which is obviously larger than the one from Commie. I haven't finished download it yet, so I can't be sure what make it differ. 501 MB feels like usual 45-minutes show, right? Well, not really. I remember Katanagatari is about 600-700 MB which also around 45 too.

It seems 10-bit profile really manage to cut the size, though each fansub have their own setting. So far Commie managed to cut more size than UTW, but who knows what happens next.

As this post written, I already managed to find some fansubber that support Hi10P for their anime. The list goes here :
- Commie
- UTW
- Static-Subs

I'll put the list on the right side of my blogs. The list will be updated as soon as I got info of another fansub start to use Hi10P or 10-bit. The list will stand there until 10-bit become standard.

This is Benard reporting, see you on the next post!!
AAAAAANNNNNNNNNDDDDDD CUT!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment